View Single Post
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 07:59am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by WeekendRef

After my LONG story my question is :
What rule (if any) governs what the asst can or cannot do ?
Are Asst coaches legally entitled to "ride" the official ?
I would love it if someone was able to paste this rule because if there is none then that would require me to admit I was wrong to this coach (I will have him again) and that would not be pleasant .
I do not have my rule book and could find nothing in the case book....

Rule 10-4-1(a),(b),(e) & (g) are the references that you are looking for. No bench member, including the assistant coach, can disrespectfully address an official, attempt to influence an official's decision, object to an official's decision by rising from the bench and using gestures, or even be on their feet yapping in the first place. You can also note that there is absolutely NOTHING ANYWHERE in the rulebook that gives a head coach the right to question a call by an official at any time either. The only things that a coach is allowed to do by rule on the bench are outlined in Rule 10-5-1 & 2. Yapping at officials certainly isn't one of the coaching duties outlined there.A team captain may ask for a rules interpretation, under R3-1-2, but that's basically it.

The bottom line is that NO coach, by rule, is supposed to question your calls- head coach, assistant coach- don't matter. The degree and extent that they are allowed to do so is up to each individual official.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on May 10th, 2004 at 09:01 AM]