View Single Post
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Angry

Had an issue this weekend in a AAU game which I think I handled correctly but I am not 100% sure .
Team A has a pair or real talkers for coaches and in the first 8 minutes or so both coaches question every call that goes against them . I finally had enough and walk over to the bench and ask who the Head Coach is . When the head coach replies that he is I remind him that I don't want to hear anymore from his assistant . I tell him I will speak to him (within reason) but under no circumstances will I allow the Assistant to continue to question the calls . Of course the head coach wants to know why the Asst is not allowed to "talk" to me . I remind him that he (head Coach) is the only one I have to acknowledge and one more word from the Asst and I will T him .
Fast forward to the next day same team is playing and we have no problems until half time when the Head coach tells me he read the rule book last night (Insert joke here)and I am completely wrong about the Asst coach not being able to question my calls .He does not do this in a very pleasant manner and I tell him that we can speak after the game and move away from the scorers table to center court where I can still here him telling me to be a man and admit I am wrong . I walk over again and tell him we can speak after the game and walk to center court again but to no avail . I finally T him up at half and wind up running the Asst during the second half (They were UP by 40 at the time). My partner completes the trifecta and runs a mouthy parent in the second half as well .
After my LONG story my question is :
What rule (if any) governs what the asst can or cannot do ?
Are Asst coaches legally entitled to "ride" the official ?
I would love it if someone was able to paste this rule because if there is none then that would require me to admit I was wrong to this coach (I will have him again) and that would not be pleasant .
I do not have my rule book and could find nothing in the case book....