Thread: Appeal
View Single Post
Old Fri May 07, 2004, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Blues---great discussion. I was somewhat playing devil's advocate, just trying to see what everyone says about this. I think it would be easier for the BU to focus on getting inside the diamond, then take the runner to third. PU has a great angle on that call.

IF ball is hit to right field, BU has a great angle on the first touch/catch and tag-up. Doesn't even have to buttonhook in...everything is in front of the umpire.

TexBlue...as for the hand up thing, could lead to a lot of confusion for teams...great communication device for umpires, but not good communications for teams (at least not always).

Mr. Mafia...as a fellow ASA-er, I agree, BU has call UNLESS WE DEVIATE AND COMMUNICATE. That's what gets me about some umpires...they don't talk in pre-game (or listen to deviations) and don't talk during games. I'm constantly talking to my partner when needed.

The TWO UMPIRE system is a good basis for everyone to work off of. But it isn't as effective as it could be, and that's why we deviate.