View Single Post
Old Thu May 06, 2004, 06:10am
Official Forum Member

I was BU for a junior baseball game Sat. R1 and R2 with two outs. Batter hits a high pop up between catcher and pitcher. As pitcher is calling for the ball and ready to make the catch, the BR who is approx. 10 feet from the pitcher screams, RAAAAWWWW from the top of his lungs. The pitcher hearing him looks over at him as the ball falls to the ground. The PU calls the BR out for interference. The 3rd base coach (The Assist. coach) goes balistic. As he walks across the field to his dugout, he asks the PU where he is from.

PU: What difference does that make?

Coach: I was wondering where you were from to make a terrible call like that!

PU: I forgot more about baseball than you'll ever know.

Coach: You don't know too much making a call like that.

I'm at 1st base at this time watching the coach go into the dugout wondering why he hasn't been tossed yet. As I am watching and listening I hear from the coach, "Those umpires are terrible". BING! "your gone". I toss him and tell the Manager his assistant has been ejected.

After the game I spoke to the PU and explained he shouldn't have egged him on by responding to him and humiliating him with his comments, he should have just tossed him, no added comments were needed.

I was going to let my partner handle the situation until I heard the coach make the statement he did.

Should I have involved myself and handled the situation as I did?