View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 20, 2001, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
I agree

Quote:
Originally posted by DDonnelly19
Let me make sure I'm on the same page here...

RHP, R1, R2. F1, instead of turning clockwise (going towards 3B), instead goes the long way (counter-clockwise) and rotates past 1B in his move to 2B. Unless the pitcher "dekes" R1 on his motion to 2B, what's the harm?

Let's take a LHP with R2 and R3. F1 takes the long way and spins clockwise (towards 3B) on his move to 2B. Is this a feint towards a base without a step? I highly doubt it, since it's clear that the pitcher's intent was to throw (or feint) to 2B.

If we don't allow a RHP to turn that way, we can make the same argument with a LHP rotating towards 3B. I can't see how a complete turn without hesitation can be considered a balk.
Thanks for an umpiring post. I think this move would have to be seen before rendering a decision. It seems to me that to attempt a pickoff on a runner at second you a RHP can do any of three moves. First, is to step off the rubber at which point the pitcher has become a fielder and can throw or not. The second is to lift his left leg up in the air spin on his right foot toward 3B and throw to second. This is an excellent move with lst and second occupied, two outs and 3-2 count. Runners often go on the initial leg movement. The third seems to be the one described and I do not think that a runner being present on first base creates a balk as long as the pitcher makes no direction toward the plate and does not disengage his right foot before throwing to second. Jim/NY