View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 20, 2001, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by ump24
The comment was made that it is a balk to first because the RHP did not step off the back. I agree, to not step off the back isn't this move initially a feint to first base?

I'm trying to understand your question so here goes.

First, you do not have to step off the rubber in order to pick off a runner, in fact it is probably better to get your young F1's in the habbit of picking off runners from the rubber because of the penalties involved should F1 throw the ball out of play.

Once F1 steps off the rubber (legally of coarse), he is no longer treated as F1 and can Feint all he wants to. He cannot (while in contact with the pitcher's plate) feint a throw to First per 8.05(b)

In your example we all would probably have to see a tape of this kids spin move to determine its validity. If as Bob and Dave mentioned, in his spin he didn't feint to first, this would be legal.

The way I visualize (for it to be legal) is as follows:
From the stretch, I lift my free foot (not crossing the back edge of the plane) and in one continuous motion I spin (without pointing my free foot towards first) and attempt to pickoff r2.

Pete Booth