View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Consider this not too unlikely case:

Shot in the air. A1 is coming from the top of the key while B4 is coming in from the side. B4 anticipates the rebound and jumps for the while running full speed. However, the rebound goes straight to A1, who is running down the lane. B4 lands on A1 as A1 is now jumping to shoot. B4 is an airborn player who's landing spot was vacant when he jumped. Is this a foul on A1? Or is it a foul on B4? Or is it nothing?
In this particular case, doesn't it depend on whether A1 has player control before B4 lands on him? If A1 gets the ball, then isn't it just, "Sorry B4, I know it was not planned, but I've gotta call it anyway?"

Dan -- I knew if I asked, someone would come up with something else. That's why I asked! So we've got 1) the defender taking the shooter's landing spot, and we've got 2) certain types of incidental contact, and .... any others?

I hope someone will help continue this thread, since I won't be checking in again for a while. I'm spending the weekend being a college mom, and feeling very proud of my amazing son. Dan, I know you have similar pride, although perhaps for different kinds of behavior!