View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 21, 2004, 10:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: NBA vs. NCAA officials

Quote:
Originally posted by d-wil
Now, this is where i get lost: a defensive player obviously reaches in while the offensive player begins to make a move toward the basket. The announcer says, "now that's a reach in."

Nunn responds: "We regard this as incidental contact. The offensive player was moving from point A to point B and the defensive player didn't impede him from reaching point C." The announcer give Nunn a quizzical look & moves on to the next topic. Meanwhile I'm watching & have to mute the television to absorb what was said, and then I say, "Wha-?!
First of all, there is no such thang as a "reach." You will not see any rulebook use that language. It is not illegal to "reach" for the ball at any moment. But if you reach for the ball and you grab a ball handlers arm and prevent them from shooting or dribbling the ball, then you can have a foul. But that is only if the contact is not considered "incidental" which Nunn seems to explain, but not very well it seems. The term "Reach" is a coaches, player's and fan's language. Officials that know any better do not use that language. Because it is not illegal.

Quote:
Originally posted by d-wil
So, if you could provide me with a set of basic rules differences, a rudimentary understanding of officiating mechanics, and how all of this is affected by the entertainment value, that would be a godsend....
Basketball is not like Football, there are not a couple hundred differences between the college/HS and pro levels. The main difference are obvious. Three point line length and maybe the shot clock, but there are not many "fundamental differences" that affect the game. This is why LeBron James can make a jump from HS to pro and not have much trouble. It is a different game, but not because the rules are so different, the talent level makes things different.

Peace