View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 21, 2004, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Xplayer
The men’s league I Officiate in has really been testing my resolve as a Ref. I for one do not under any circumstance allow "loud" cursing. I quickly give a tech. Said under their breath I can let it go but that is the only reason I will. My partner "warns" them and has never teched anybody for it. How prevalent is cursing as you into the higher leagues? I have played this game for 30 years and have NEVER said the things that I hear in this league. Believe me I have argued and disputed calls and talked plenty of smack to the other players but that is mild as compared to this. Also players telling me I don't know what I'm doing or that I'm favoring one team or the other. Nothing could be farther from the truth as far as favoring a certain team. The other is always open to conjecture. Is this the kind of abuse you can expect if you venture into the higher levels? I have been asked if I have thought about the move up so I thought I would ask the experts.
I have done several (more than 5, less than 10) seasons of YMCA adult basketball here. I do it because I love officiating. Here are my two cents:

If you are using the NFHS rules in your men's league (the Y here does), officiate like a high school official. If someone curses outloud, T him up. If you are using college rules (NCAA, etc.), give them a little bit of leeway on contact, but not on language because college officials will not either.

I was dropped from the schedule recently because the YMCA was more concerned with keeping teams than with following NFHS rules. (That is not my opinion; the sports supervisor told me that.) I was doing the same thing you did--not letting players get away with outrageous actions.

I also agree with some of the other opinions expressed. These ARE guys who are NBA wannabes, and they want you to call the game like you are calling an NBA game. (Think Dennis Rodman.)