View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 21, 2004, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Xplayer
The men’s league I Officiate in has really been testing my resolve as a Ref. I for one do not under any circumstance allow "loud" cursing. I quickly give a tech. Said under their breath I can let it go but that is the only reason I will. My partner "warns" them and has never teched anybody for it. How prevalent is cursing as you into the higher leagues? I have played this game for 30 years and have NEVER said the things that I hear in this league. Believe me I have argued and disputed calls and talked plenty of smack to the other players but that is mild as compared to this. Also players telling me I don't know what I'm doing or that I'm favoring one team or the other. Nothing could be farther from the truth as far as favoring a certain team. The other is always open to conjecture. Is this the kind of abuse you can expect if you venture into the higher levels? I have been asked if I have thought about the move up so I thought I would ask the experts.
Higher men's leagues, or are you talking college or pro basketball?

As for men's leagues.

Cussing, unless it's a church or YMCA league, okay not even there, as long as it is not directed at me or my partner I don't care.

Telling me I don't know what I'm doing, now that is a T.

Telling me we are favoring the other team, they get the look. By look I mean the "That is the most stupid thing I've ever heard," look with a slight head shake.

Come on guys men's leagues can be fun, where else can you officiate a former NBA player and current NBA color commentator, and realize that the guy is as dumb as a rock and knows NOTHING about the rules.