View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 16, 2004, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Has the painting of designs on hockey goalie helmets hurt anything? Let the players be creative.

Tom,
To me the question is not has the painting hurt anything. I have never seen a defective helmet injure a player. We don't do a lot of hockey here in south Georgia, so I can't address the goalie masks. I do have a good bit of paint, as well as plastics knowledge, and realize that not all umpires share that. This is precisely the reason I would like to see a "no paint no exception rule". This would remove all qeustion, and liabiliteis issues from the umpires, and let us get on with the business of calling the game. If paint was specifically addressed by rules, the judgement might be easier, but a listing of what can be painted and what not can become over-regulating. If the kids want to be creative, thats fine,(and as I posted before,I allow those if labeling is there) let them be creative with ther bat-bags, jackets and such, and not with safety equipment.

I do think the painted helmet issue could stand some more scrutiny from rules commitees. Again, if safety wasn't involved, this would be a non-issue.

BTW, That gold helmet with non visible labeling? I saw on field opposite of mine last night! Another umpiring crew allowed (or missed) it.