View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 16, 2004, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Based on what rule?

ASA helmet rule. NFHS helmet rule. DIXIE helmet rule

If NOCSAE is visible, and warning label is visible, it IMO meets NOCSAE approval, thus is approved for play in NFHS,and ASA.

STANDARD PERFORMANCE SPECIFICATION FOR NEWLY MANUFACTURED BASEBALL/SOFTBALL BATTER'S HELMETS
NOCSAE DOC (ND)022-03m03 adresses the label issue, but does not address painting.

As for paint, I wish all would make a "no paint, no exception rule", but LL is the only one to do it so far. Broken, cracked, dented, and illegally altered are the operative words used by ASA. Paint is not really addessed. If Susie wants her name airbrushed on, and a picture of a ball with fangs, I could, but don't consider that altering.
Those jobs are usaually done with water based paints, and do not affect the helmet polymers. A full paint job, one I have seen was painted entirely w/gold enamel spray, NOCSAE not visible-warning label removed, another sprayed w/ hi-build urethane primer, and a 3 stage automotive pearl clearcoat, paint so thick it covered NOCSAE embossing. I tossed them both. Until there is a ruling as in LL, umpires are gonna have to use some judgement.