Thread: Ejection
View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 12, 2004, 11:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
I think there are a lot of officials in this thread that seem to be EAGER to eject a coach instead of run the game. I'm not advocating listening to constant barbs from an assistant coach. But if you're so sensitive that you get offended by a coach (or player for that matter) asking you to clean the rubber, you need to step it back a bit.
What does anyone that wants a standard of behavior, have to do with being EAGER to eject someone? When we are doing our job, we are suppose to treat coaches and players with respect. Telling me to clean up something that is not in my job discription, is not a way to show respect. I do not think it would be respectful to tell a coach to "sit down and shut up," and if an umpire said that I would expect a coach to be upset as well.

For the record I have ejected one Assistant Coach, which happen to be last year. And that was because he had the nearve to come all the way from his dugout position to home plate to argue a call. And it was his second incident that game after I had warned this coach for other comments. If I was so EAGAR to dump a coach, I would have don it the first time he made comments in that game. And I definitely last week would have had at least two ejections, for assistants that do not seem to know their place on a baseball field. This is not an issue of eagarness, it is an issue of what an Assistant can and cannot do. And it is not our job to listen to all the assistants after we have discussed a play with a Head Coach.

Peace