View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 11, 2004, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Q1 regarding - Rule 8 H 1-2 - Runners may steal one base in 10U.

I told the coaches in pregame:
- they get one base on a steal
- we are playing with a closed home plate

despite this .. When 1R stole 2B on a pitch and then moved on to 3B on the error on the throw to 2B.. I put them back to 2B after play ceased causing the coach to appeal to me with the following argument - they should get 1 base on the steal and 1 base on the error.

I told him I disagreed, the intent of the rule is because of the potential for error in 10U.. (not to mention the fact I had made it clear in pregame)

I told him I would check with knowledgable umpires I knew (that being you guys) but we were playing it that way and the call stood.

Do I properly understand the intent and enforcement of this rule or is the coach correct?

---------------------------------------------

Q2 Re ASA 10U rules.

R1 on 3B
R2 on 1B

Batted ball - R1 Scores.. the errors begin - R2 also scores. BR ends up with a triple on 3B.

Any problem with the above play in the above?

Other Coach appeals based on my previous ruling:
I ruled that was legal as it was scoring on a batted ball -errors aside.

-------------------------

I'll just add the coaches accepted the rulings fine, their appeals were perfectly fine in attitude.. but want to make sure my ducks are in a row on this...

I'll also state for the record I was pummelled for an hour and a half saturday.. man... catchers that cant catch.. I'd rather work 14U with people who can whiz that ball any day.
-----------------------------------------------

Edited to clarify .. steal in Q1 was on a pitch.. thanks JEL.

[Edited by wadeintothem on Apr 12th, 2004 at 02:31 AM]