View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 15, 2001, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by official88
I am a 3rd year umpire, youth leagues and high school, and on several occaisions, when my position is the Plate Umpire, I have had "veteran" partners who just seem to take control right from the meeting with the caoches at home plate. Being the "newer kid on the block" I'm not sure how to handle these guys. As the man behind the dish, I feel that is I who should run the meeting at the plate and have the coaches address any concerns to me. I don't wish to insult anyone, but how do I go about telling these partners that they should let it be my "show"? Any advice would be appreciated.
By the time you are in your 3rd Year these guys should realise that you have at least enough experience to conduct your own plate meetings. I'm not as understanding about this attitude you are dealing with as apparently the others are who have already answered your question.

I would handle your problem in this way:

1. Don't embarrass your partner by pulling him up short in front of the coaches - 2 wrongs won't make a right.

2. When the coaches leave the meeting, call your partner aside for a brief one-on-one discussion - and I DO mean brief.

3. You can say to this guy, "Look, I know you're the senior guy here, and you are only trying to help, but that was supposed to be a 'Plate' meeting and I'm supposed to be the 'Plate Umpire'. Please let me take it next time, ok? If I've missed anything, I'll be happy to have you jump in with all your experience, but I've got to be allowed to start the ball rolling or I'll get no respect from these guys. (pause for reaction) Have a good game, buddy. Let's do it and have some fun, eh?" (BIG smile)

4. After checking his face for any reaction, and giving him your cheery good wishes and a parting smile, turn around and head for the plate to start the game.

5. If you get the chance, make sure you give him the old "Great call, partner" signal if you can. (That's one fist on top of the other in a hammering motion). A little wide-eyed appreciation never goes astray! (grin)

• You have told him nicely how you felt about his overbearing attitude.
  • You have told him nicely to give you your due.
  • You have let him know you won't be walked over.
  • You have given him at least a half inning to consider the sense in what you've asked.
  • You have given him every opportunity to take it all in the right spirit.

No-one respects an official who is too meek to stand up for himself. If you do it politely, and in a friendly and appreciative manner, no reasonable official can object to your request to run your own show. Some may suggest that this approach won't work if this guy has some input into your advancement. That depends on the guy. You're also not going to advance while such an official considers you can't even be trusted to run a plate meeting. I say you've got nothing to lose if you go about it the right way.

Just my $AUD0.05c worth. Good luck.

Cheers,