View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 15, 2001, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Quote:
Originally posted by official88
I am a 3rd year umpire, youth leagues and high school, and on several occaisions, when my position is the Plate Umpire, I have had "veteran" partners who just seem to take control right from the meeting with the caoches at home plate. Being the "newer kid on the block" I'm not sure how to handle these guys. As the man behind the dish, I feel that is I who should run the meeting at the plate and have the coaches address any concerns to me. I don't wish to insult anyone, but how do I go about telling these partners that they should let it be my "show"? Any advice would be appreciated.
The way you describe it I think your partners are wrong. As “veterans” they may consider it important to support you by showing a “take charge” attitude but the plate umpire should be in charge of the plate conference. I might suggest getting to the park at least 20 minutes before game time especially if the plate is “assigned” rather than determined by a coin flip. Have a pre-game conference with your BU that includes what you’ll discuss at the plate conference. You might ask your partner for any keys he can give you about the coaches’ strategies. For example maybe one coach likes to squeeze with the bottom of the order. The other coach might like to steal especially early in the game. At the plate conference the PU should stand in foul territory behind the plate and the BU directly in front of the plate. You might also try involving your partner or at least giving him the opportunity with something to the effect “Joe, do you have anything to add?”

My wife had a needlepoint hanging when my son was younger that said, “There are two things you have to provide your children, one is roots and the other wings”. I think roots and wings pertain as well to newer umpires. Umpire training works best when you have responsible mentors that will allow you to do what you are expected to do.