View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 15, 2001, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by official88
I am a 3rd year umpire, youth leagues and high school, and on several occaisions, when my position is the Plate Umpire, I have had "veteran" partners who just seem to take control right from the meeting with the caoches at home plate. Being the "newer kid on the block" I'm not sure how to handle these guys. As the man behind the dish, I feel that is I who should run the meeting at the plate and have the coaches address any concerns to me. I don't wish to insult anyone, but how do I go about telling these partners that they should let it be my "show"? Any advice would be appreciated.
Likely my method wouldn't work for you. In my early years after such an incident I simply told the Grizzled Veteran to "fork off!"
Many clinicians believe the answer lies in a good pregame conference, where the less-experienced official initiates the topics and makes it clear he will handle the pregame meeting with the coaches. I don't favor that because lots of GV's don't want to participate in a pregame conference: "Hey, kid, I've been doing this for a long time, ok? I'll be where I'm supposed to be. Just be sure you cover your ass!" (That's Blunder #44 in my book, 51 Ways to Ruin a Baseball Game.)

It's the postgame conference where I think the freshman can make his mark. Every GV loves to tell the newbie exactly what he did wrong -- in detail. (And frankly, what he says in that conference will probably be of great use and benefit to you.) Then, when he's done ragging and/or complimenting, depending on the mood in the car/bar, you will:

1. Ask: "How did I do when I conducted the pregame meeting with the coaches? Oh, oops, YOU did that, didn't you?" Yuk, yuk. Blah, blah.

OR:

2. Say: "GV, I see I have a lot to learn. And the next time we call together, I'm gonna start by taking charge at the pregame meeting. I want you to listen quietly so we can talk about it after the game. I'm gonna have a lot of partners who don't do this as well as you." Yuk, yuk. Blah, blah.

Now arrives your next date as partners, and GV repeats his obnoxious behavior that says: "I'm in charge."

Afterwards, in the postgame conference, when he's said everything he wants to say, you say: "GV, I'm glad you think I improved." (He will say you improved; after all, you've had the benefit of his previous instruction.) "But again I didn't get to handle the pregame meeting. Now we work together again on the 14th, and I want you to let me handle it that time. If you start talking, I'm just going to say: 'Excuse me, but I'm the plate umpire and so let's get it set right away who is the UIC. If you have a problem, gentlemen, come to me!' I can't ever hope to be as good as you if I don't get a chance to make my own mistakes." Yuk, yuk. Blah, blah.

Your words may vary, of course, but it's the intent of the conversations that matters.

There are a few umpires who never learn, who always plan to be in charge. Then, there are some who take charge by force of habit and only need a gentle nudge to bring them up short.

The main idea: Discuss the "pregame meeting" during your "postgame conference." Do that with each of the GV's as you work your way through the association this coming season. When you come across one of those who won't/can't change, know this: Someday, you'll be in that spot, and you can decide which kind of GV you're going to be.

Frankly, I always needed the "gentle shove" -- from my second year on.