Thread: Ejection
View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 03:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
I would like to add a couple of points.

First, remember that how you deal with an assistant coach says something about the person (umpire) you are. Many assistant coaches will become head coaches eventually. Treating them with respect is important I believe. However, I take less verbiage from an assistant than I do from a head coach. What I'm saying, be careful about saying that you not going to listen to them because they are an assistant coach.
I do not recall that anyone said not to listen to an assistant ever. We said (and I am mostly speaking for myself here) that we are not going to allow the same treatment from them. At least in my mind they are on a shorter leash. And whether or not the Assistant is going to be a head coach or not is not my concern. For one coaches come and go all the time. This is my 8th year and every year at some schools there are different coaches. And not all of them were assistants somewhere else.

Now when they become the head coach or if they become the head coach, then I will treat them accordingly. And that is why there are rules that dictate the behavior of the head coach and anyone that is not.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Peace