Thread: Ejection
View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 09:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Like I said Tim, for excessive arguing over minor points, you are GONE. What are you doing back? You looking for a forfeit? I agree, let's get some real issues on here instead of this bull we have been discussing.
Oh sure, call Tim sensitive for providing what is the only sensiBLE way to handle this.

I acknowledge 1B coaches. I will say hi to them, ask them when their season is over, etc. But I don't discuss calls with them if they are not the head coach and I'm not sure I've ever seen a head coach working the 1B box.

I was working a college game yesterday and I made an out call on a very, very close play at first base. Here comes the first base coach into the outfield between innings looking to "discuss" the call I made three batters ago. I was kind and sensitive enough to pretend he wasn't there and keep walking deeper into the outfield grass, but he was on thin ice even heading to the outfield. Once I got far enough away, I turned around and he was still looking in my direction, walking away. I smiled and shrugged. Had he followed me into the outfield, he likely would've gotten ejected.

I had a basketball coach pull this co-coach nonsense on me earlier this season. I reminded him that he may claim to be a co-coach, but the only one I'm treating like a head coach is the guy using the box.

Forgive me for sounding like an a$$, but I'm not terribly interested in a coach's opinion on a judgment call. I'll let the head coach give a little opinion, because custom and tradition dictate that I do so. I've seen umpires that were more than happy to talk with all coaches about every possible thing, including the color of the sky and also happily appealing to their partner on every judgment call a coach didn't like. I simply won't do that, but because of umpires like you, I'm a bad guy. To heck with it -- I simply don't care.

--Rich

[Edited by Rich Fronheiser on Apr 9th, 2004 at 10:52 PM]