Thread: Ejection
View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
"The other coach argued at the time, and between innings as BU was walking toward 1st, I let him know that I thought the call was horrible because of the injury risk to the 2nd baseman."

This is where the umpire indeed made a mistake. He should have tossed you right then.

As you admit, the other coach handled the matter. Discussion is closed. Not only did you re-open the topic you did it an insulting manner an one in which accused him of allowing a player to be put at risk. I am amazed you were still in the game at that point.
You're right, the conversation should never have been restarted, but with regards to DownTownTonyBrown's post, my comments between innings, although they reflected what I felt of his call were directed at the injury concern for my 2B. The situation probably could have really been handled better on my end to avoid the confrontation, particularly given the umpire's demeanor toward me. It's my responsibility to know what the umpire's attitude is and act accordingly. While I still don't understand why my comment warranted ejection by itself, as I stopped the discussion when I was told and given the context, my actions were out of line in that situation and I should have known better than to re-address the situation at that point. I appreciate the feedback as it has helped me further understand the umpire's perspective, and although I am a sports official, it helps to listen to those who do baseball. I intend to be back here and to use this forum to discuss baseball umpiring as I use the basketball board for my basketball officiating. Thanks for the help.

[Edited by SMEngmann on Apr 8th, 2004 at 03:20 PM]