Thread: Ejection
View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

I appreciate the feedback, but my role on the team is not that of an assistant coach, more of a non-conventional head coach. I run the pitchers and the defense, the other coach is basically the offensive coordinator. Both of us are present in the pregame meeting with the umpires. Even if I were an assistant coach, I disagree with the notion that assistants should be treated as if they have no role by the umpires/referees. I agree with the argument that umpires should hear only one voice, but I also don't think that umpires should treat anyone associated with the game with any measure of disrespect when a reasonable question is asked. Same goes in basketball. If a basketball coach asks a question in a reasonable manner and doesn't show me up, I will let him speak. This conversation occurred between innings, and when the umpire told me that he heard enough about the call, I ceased to argue, although in my opinion, it wasn't handled professionally. Due to the way the manner was handled, I asked that the umpire refrain from calling me by my first name, again, a seemingly reasonable request unrelated to the play. To get tossed for that, in my opinion, is absurd. It is not the equivalent of an assistant coach in basketball rising to question a decision, that would be if the "assistant" charged onto the field from the dugout and started a face to face argument. I am a sports official, I don't show up umpires or treat them disrespectfully as I have been on the other side many times. However, I respect your opinions and will take them into account.