View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 07, 2000, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

KDM,
#1 - correct.

#2 - incorrect. As long as the player does not bounce the ball out of bounds first on its way onto the court where it is touched, a player may bounce the ball during a throw-in.

Just as we do not give the traveling signal if the player does move, we would not give a double dribble signal for his action of dribbling the ball, catching it, and dribbling the ball again.

On Wednesday night, I had a game in a gym with only 18 inches of out-of-bounds space at the endlines. Needless to say whenever a player had a designated spot throw-in it was very difficult to get it past the defender. (The home school has chosen not to use a 3 foot restraining line since they are used to the small confines of the court).

On two or three occasions we had players moving their feet to make the throw in. But never did they go outside the 3 foot area. But one of the coaches insisted that the player was restricted to a single pivot foot while throwing the ball in. This was the first time a coach had ever used this on me and at first I thought he was kidding. But he said that in 'last weeks game' another 'official' told him this was the rule.

Needless to say we did not call violations.