View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
As for the "late in the game" calls. Whomever decided that officials should pass on calls late in the game has done the profession an injustice. IMHO, if you pass on a call just because of the time remaining or the score of the contest, you have jeopardized your integrity. I am not talking about 10 year old rec. ball, but HS and NCAA. As an official, I want to follow the rules; that covers my a$$ if something happens or if someone gets hurt.
QUOTE]

I have never heard anyone suggust to pass on calls late in the close game. I have heard, and support the idea of communicating as partners the game situation, stay focused, be in good position to see the whole play. Lets make sure its a good call or no call.

The difference is game management. I try not to call borderline fouls. Early or late I want to be able to say to myself, "yep, thats a foul", beep. Having said that, there are times I may call a borderline foul early in the game, depending on the situation. I'm not going to call a borderling foul late in close game.