View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to N_Stripes
Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach

We missed a chance at a huge upset this year, when trailing by 2 with 25 seconds left, we were called for an illegal screen. I was a lot more upset about the fact that the official thought it was a foul (he used the word "borderline" in a discussion we had after the game) than I was about the time remaining. But, could you tell me, should the officials be passing on calls with 25 seconds left? What about 11 seconds? How about 4.7 seconds? Maybe 1.6? Or just 0.2? I need to know if this guy that worked our game is part of the problem--my official rating sheet is due next week! [/B]
I have been reading this thread with much interest but have refrained from comment as I did not see the play in question. You however have asked for an opinion that I just happen to have.

My intentions are to call the same game for 40 minutes. What is a foul at .2 seconds into the game, is a foul with .2 seconds remaining. I do not base ALL my calls on Advantage vs. Disadvantage as I feel there are fouls and violations that put no one at a disadvantage but should be called to maintain the integrity of the game and to keep many games from possibly slipping out of control. This is not to say that I do not agree with the Advantage vs. Disadvantage procedure, I just do not feel that it is an "all inclusive" process.

As for the "late in the game" calls. Whomever decided that officials should pass on calls late in the game has done the profession an injustice. IMHO, if you pass on a call just because of the time remaining or the score of the contest, you have jeopardized your integrity. I am not talking about 10 year old rec. ball, but HS and NCAA. As an official, I want to follow the rules; that covers my a$$ if something happens or if someone gets hurt.

Pat Summit, like many class act coaches, would rather not win a game on a controversial call with .2 seconds remaining in a tie game. But had she been down by one and the officials decided to "pass" on the call because it was "late in the game"; what would your reply be to her when she asks "why you did not call the foul?"
"Uhhh, well coach, you see, we as officials just pass on calls when there is less than .3 seconds left because you can't attempt a try!"

I hope you enjoyed your final game in the big leagues ref!

[Edited by N_Stripes on Apr 1st, 2004 at 08:39 AM]