View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Although I haven't worked in almost 10 years, I did have quite a bit of officiating experience in hoops and am now considering trying my hand in football. I've read some other newbie posts, but I think the on-field stuff will come. What I need to know is basically equipment oriented.

You Texas and Southern guys know its hot to start the season. I'll start with the mesh shirt and pro-mesh cap. But I sweat a lot, and my golf caps are ruined after 2 or 3 rounds. Is there a good way to keep those mesh caps clean without destroying them? What's the expected life of the pro mesh cap? Finally, when it cools in late October, do I need to get a wool cap to wear on colder nights?

Next question is flags. While I was at Texas A&M, I did some flag football intramural ref work. I used old flags my dad used years ago while working football. They were just yellow material my mom cut and sewed in a heavy washer for the weight. I don't have the flags anymore, and don't necessarily need to be as thrift as my parents needed to be back then, but is it worth it to make my own flags? I ask because I'd like to have two flags that work well for the back judge position (long throw) and for a line judge or referee postion (short, but accurate, throw). So, I guess, the question is: what makes a flag go far, and are there any flags on the market that work well for that, or any flags that are great for short and accurate tosses? Sorry if I've made too big a deal out of flags.

Finally, those sweat bands with the down indicator look pretty cool. I know my dad used rubber bands. Is this essential for all crew members to keep track of downs?