View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 03:26am
Official Forum Member

6th Grade girls game, team A is clearly superior to team B and dominating the game. Coach A is a bit of a howler and makes chirpy comments to me and my partner, particularly early in the 2nd half, earning him an acknowledgement and a stop sign (after he acted like a child when he wanted a backcourt call when B1 is straddling the division line and never gained front court status). After my partner makes a foul call on team B early in the 4th, he rises and yells, "It's about time we finally get a call, we're getting mugged out there," earning him his 1st technical from me. I went through the formalities and reminded him of the seatbelt rule. With 16 seconds left in the game and Team A up big, B1 misses a free throw and B2 grabs the rebound, and the ball gets knocked OOB. Coach A, from his seat yells that B2 was in the lane early (she clearly wasn't), and I look at him and try to convey to him to stay in the game. Coach A then rises and stomps his foot yelling at us that B2 was in the lane early and how could we have missed it, to which I respond by giving him his second T and his walking papers. My question to you is, do you think there could have been a better way to handle the situation early to prevent the ejection or can you suggest something that I could have done to keep the coach in the game? Clearly, he did enough and deserved to get tossed, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how we could have handled the situation differently?