View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

I don't really have any bias against Valentine, but I question whether he made a wise choice staying table-side after calling the first T. You have a favored team that's about to lose, and a coach who's lost it. Absolutely issue the first T - that was made apparent by what I saw on TV. But given the situation, why not bail, go opposite, and let the game play out.

We've all been in situations like this, where we KNOW we would've wound up tossing the coach if we'd stayed in the vicinity after whackin' him.

Valentine's proximity to Barnes after the first T was such that I think if he goes opposite, then whatever he has to say to Valentine, he has to make such an *** of himself that 20,000 people see it too, and then if it's necessary, whack him again.

One of the rare times when I agree with the T.V. announcers - it's not Valentine's job to go toe-to-toe with the coach in that situation. I figure just take the path of least resistence, and get the hell out.

Having said all of this, none of us knows what Barnes said after the first T - maybe he called his wife a nasty name, maybe he used the "n" word, who knows?

Those are my views, but in the end, I guess I'm not gonna second-guess a top NCAA official on this one. In the end, it was Barnes who was being a jerk, and Barnes who had the option of just sucking it up and letting the game end.

(I'll just ignore the TROLL in the previous post, who's probably some idiot Texas fan)