Thread: Out or safe?
View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Angry

I have a question. In our game tonight, our catcher had a ball thrown to him and a baserunner was coming home. Our catcher caught the throw and the runner comes in, the catcher makes the tag before the runner touches home when he's sliding in, but after the tag was made the catcher bobbles the ball, but he regains control of it and he never lets the ball hit the ground. The umpire called the runner safe even after checking to make sure the catcher did have control of the ball after the play was over which he did, he just called him safe because he didn't have control through the whole play. Was he right or wrong? One of the dads on our team is one of the head umpires in the umpire association here in this area, and he's umpired college and minor league games and he said that the umpire was wrong, but of course he is a little biased but I tend to agree with him as the only time I've ever seen a player called safe after a tag was made on him before he touched home was when the ball was rolling around on the ground. Thanks in advance!