View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Very interesting exchange. I don't especially like the idea of coaches rating officials. It doesn't happen formally here in NJ, although I'm certain that our assignors do get informal calls from coaches.

However, if any state/organization does formally solicit input from coaches, I would recommend that they develop a separate questionnaire that does not use the same rating scale or questions as an officiating supervisor would use. While the supervisor's rating would be in terms of rules, mechanics, etc., a coach's rating should be related solely to areas of the official's required and necessary interaction with him, e.g. questions related to the pregame meeting between the referee and coach ("Did the referee meet with you prior to the game? Y - N") or an official's professional demeanor dealing with the coach and his team. Maybe even a question regarding the official's appearance. But...Don't ever ask a coach to comment on the officials' application of the rules or his application of approved techniques, or his ability to officiate playoff caliber football. He just does not have the tools to comment on such matters.