Thread: Block/Charge
View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
cmatthews
I do not teach players to "flop." I do teach players to absorb the contact rather than allow contact to flatten them. If the contact is severe enough to knock them down, it is severe enough to hurt them if they allow it to knock them down. I think it is ridiculous to suggest otherwise.
I agree if it can knock you down it "can" hurt you. I do however disagree with falling at first contact...It isn't a foul if it doesn't displace the player, if the defense falls on first contact, and that contact is not normall enough to displace them, then this tactic is Flopping pure and simple. Assuming the contact wasn't enough to displace a player and they flop anyway, they are causing a bigger hazard than if they stood their ground to begin with. If I think a player is habitually flopping, they will have to get freighttrained in order to get the PC call. With that said, they will know if I think they are flopping...I give the get up signal. I didn't use to but after talking to one of our veteran officials, and watching him use it, I have begun to now also. His comment was if you do that then everyone knows you saw the play and why you had a No Call...