View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 12, 2001, 12:48pm
Administrator

I need to clarify two things.

1) As a said before, disqualification applies to players, substitutes, and bench personnel. And disqualification AND ejection applies to the Head Coach.

Do not get hung up on the words disqualification and ejection. Diqualification means that the person is no longer allowed to partcipate in the game: player/substitute, assistant coach, head coach, and other bench personnel. Even though all adults who are disqualified must go either to the locker room or leave the building. Why the word ejection is also applied to the head coach only, I do not know the answer.

The Note in the penalty section of both NFHS R10-S4 and S5 use the verbs SHALL GO to the locker room and LEAVE the building when refering to adult bench personnel other that the head coach who have been disqualified. But when the head coach is involved the words DISQUALIFICATION and EJECTION to the team's locker room or outside the building.

The thing to remember is that two direct technical fouls charged to anybody means that person is disqualified. Where that person then goes is determined by rule. And it never hurts to file a report with the proper authorities so that the disqualification is on record.

2) I previously said that the penalty for technical fouls that were not flagrant or intentional was only one free throw, but I forgot to mention that the penalty was two free throws for intentional and flagrant technical fouls.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio