View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Originally posted by chuck chopper:

Here I am again on this. The ASA will not allow a protest on a play that failed to "conclude" because of the Umpire.
If it concluded, and a rule was botched it is protestable.
Thus on this play the BR is out.
__________________________________________________ _________

I've looked in Rule 9 and the POE's. Where does it say that?
__________________________________________________ _______

Even if the ASA changed the application of a protest to allow one in this situation, the game would go back to a full count on the batter.
The BR would never be awarded first, so I cannot find clause for allowing that.
__________________________________________________ ________

This is another solution I hadn't considered. It wouldn't place a tying run at 3rd, instead of 2nd. And you have the same batter, ( and not possibly a much better or worse one ) at the plate. So, I guess this is your "do over" solution? This would also take away the possibility of the catcher not making a good throw to 1st and allowing the runners to advance. You've taken away all the unpredictable possibilities except for a pitcher throwing a strike or ball and the batter's actions at the time of the pitch. Although I can't think of anywhere in the rule book where you can permit a "do over" I still think ASA's 10-6-c would prevail here and, by my interpretation, place the BR at 1st. But, like I said, your solution, if allowable, puts the situation in an almost identical situation as before the blown call.

Might work, might work, if you can convince the coaches the pitch never happened.