Thread: Traveling?
View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by jcash
I can turn on tube today and count at least 5 the first five minutes of any game...except maybe in womens. The officials seem to be on their game a bit more as the women's game seems to be a bit more fundamentally sound. Even the spot-up for a trey will go on several times a game with no air in the whistle...I don't get it?
Are college officials coached not to call this "small" violation?
It's is still a violation, correct?
Thanks for cooling down the tone. I agree with you, but it appears that they are indeed told to ignore the smallest travels. On the original play that you posted, I'm pretty sure the interp given by the calling (or rather, no-calling) ref would be that possession of the ball wasn't actually attained until after that first foot came up off the floor. Whether you and I agree with it or not, that does seem to be the standard way to see it.

It's no big deal to me since I will probabbly never work that level of ball. But if you are hoping to work D1 one day on the men's side, you had probably better talk to some folks at various levels and find out what kinds of adjustments in your thinking you have to make to get there. I know I've had to go through several mind shifts to adjust to the way the game is played in my city, at the level I'm aspiring to. You have to decide whether you can adopt someone else's philosophy, or whether you need to be true to your own standards at the expense of moving up. Can be a tough choice.