View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Re: Maryland is WHAT!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
You are telling me that Maryland, who was not in the tournament a week ago is not a #4 seed? Maryland struggled all year and now they are a #4 seed?

But to see Maryland a #4 seed and North Carolina a #6 seed and seed Wisconsin that won the Conference tournament a #6 seed, when they were in the tournament supposedly all along and Maryland has been on the bubble sense December is curious.

I am sorry I missed the early part of the season, where interconference play takes place. I had thought that the ACC clearly established an unprecedented level of superiority over the Big Ten. I'm sorry, you are right about ACC non-conference schedules being weak - 9 ACC teams played 9 Big Ten teams, rather than going after some real competition.

Florida State 71, N'western 53
Wake Forest 100, Indiana 67
Michigan 68, N.C. State 61
North Carolina 88, Illinois 81
Maryland 73, Wisconsin 67 (OT)
Georgia Tech 73, Ohio State 53
Purdue 76, Clemson 64
Duke 72, Michigan State 50
Virginia 86, Minnesota 78
(ACC wins Challenge, 7-2)

From the first line of the Duke - MSU game.
EAST LANSING, Mich. (AP) -- Duke's talent, grit and mystique made Michigan State crumble.

Sounds like a 22 point road win against admittedly sub-par competition, but a road win nonetheless. The only quality win by a Big Ten team was Michigan beating NC St - Clemson finished last in the ACC and was clearly worse than any other team.

Non-conference records of the ACC teams that made it to the dance and seeds of the tourney teams they beat/lost to:

Duke, 12-1, beat Liberty (16 ), Valparaiso (15 ), Princeton (14 moving up!), Texas (3), won at MSU (7), admittedly lost to Purdue (NIT-only non-conference loss)

UNC, 8-1 beat IL and UCONN(2), lost at UK(1 -top seed in Tourney)

UMD, 9-2, won at FL(5), Beat WI(6 -should be higher), lost to Gonzaga(2), W VA (NIT)

G-tech, 13-1, won at UCONN (2), beat Texas Tech (8), La Lafayette (14), Tennessee (NIT), Georgia (NIT) and of course Ohio St

Wake, 10-1, beat Memphis (7), Richmond (11), Cincinnati (4), lost at Texas (3) oh yeah, smoked Indiana

NC State, worst of the lot non-conference, 8-3, beat Washington (8), BYU (12), lost to BC (6) and at Michigan (NIT) - but did finish 2nd in ACC

And what is this about Maryland?

From the Maryland scedule, courtesy ESPN.com

12/2 No. 10 Wisconsin W 73-67 4-0
12/10 at Florida W 69-68 5-2

From the last poll in December, at which time Maryland was a "bubble" team:

25. Maryland 6-2 62pts (next team had 29 points - not exactly close)
Last Week:
This Week: Def. NC Greensboro 85-58 (12/23), Lost to Florida State 79-75 (12/28)

Oh, I am sorry. Let's not bring facts into the argument!