View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 10, 2001, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Thanks for the memory....

One of the posters to this Board suggests that the National League instructions are contrary to the material I quoted from Evans. He believes that means I quoted a half-truth.

First: I quoted Evans only as support for my position that the "General Instructions" that follow the rules are outdated. I had forgotten about Make the Right Call. I'm glad to be reminded that that source also supersedes the "General Instructions." The fact that the National League published its own set of Instructions seems to bolster my argument, rather than refute it. Thanks for reminding me.

Second: Even so, the National League instructions leave much to be desired. Here's an example: "When a pitch hits the batter after hitting his bat, the umpire shall indicate clearly and decisively that it was a foul tip." Now, they don't really mean that, do they?

Third: Here's one of the statements I quoted from Evans. You'll note that it does not specifically support my opinion on the dropped ball of the original enciting play, but it does speak to an umpire changing a call because of additional information:
    QUOTE 1: Call all plays decisively, but not too quickly. If decisions are not called too quickly, there will be very little reason to reverse a decision but sometimes this may be necessary. If an umpire is blocked out and his partner has a better view of the play, the umpire should solicit his partner's help to make sure the play is called correctly. The main objective is to have all decisions ultimately correct.
Here now is part of the material from the National League instructions:
    QUOTE 2: Assistance is not requested except when the responsible umpire is "blocked out" from seeing all the elements of a play or he has substantial reason to believe that his positioning did not afford him the proper position to render an accurate call.
Gracious me, I've just discovered that I inadvertently reversed the quotes. (grin) QUOTE 1 is the National League; QUOTE 2 is Evans. How could I have made such a mistake! (another grin)

My two points, I believe, are clear:
  1. That the National League adds instructions for its umpires proves those "General Instructins" following the rules are out of date.
  2. The main idea contained in the material quoted from each of the sources is that an umpire should get help when his view of a play is blocked.
Finally: Allow me to correct a misconception. I did not retire TO Edinburg. I retired IN Edinburg, where I have lived for the last quarter century. According to the Chamber of Commerce, the average annual temperature is 78ยบ. My wife informed me this morning that I must pull on my shorts and mow the lawn this afternoon.

[Edited by Carl Childress on Feb 10th, 2001 at 04:01 PM]