Thread: State Semis
View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 13, 2004, 03:22am
Official Forum Member

Sounds to me like the officials failed to do something that they should on this inbounds play.

2003-5 Officials Manual page 30
217. The alternating-possession throw-in to start the second, third and fourth quarters shall be administered by the Referee at the division line opposite the table. Indicate color and direction, designate the throw-in spot, sound the whistle to alert players that play is about to begin, and place the ball at the thrower's disposal.

If the Referee failed to indicate the color and direction prior to the throw-in he is aiding the team running the trick play and giving them an unfair advantage. If he properly did this, I don't see how the defense could still be on the wrong end.

I know this cite because we have a coach out here who runs this play, too. He got upset when I said, "White," while pointing in his team's correct direction before I blew the whistle to start a quarter. He said that ruins his trick play. I informed him that I have to do my assigned duties whether he is running a trick play or not.

Afterall, we are out there to administer the game fairly for both teams, not to be complicite in someone's trickery.