View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 10, 2001, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by Bfair
I still respect his baseball content, it's such a shame we all endure that cr@pola he starts.Just my opinion,
The Neo-Romantic
An interesting -- and revealing -- response. Now: Where do you stand on the four issues I outlined? Enough about me; you spent your entire post attacking me. You said nothing about baseball. Not one word. You have proved my point in just one, typical message.

Put up or shut up. Now! Let's hear the gospel according to Steve. I suggested four topics where strong disagreement with my positions occurs. How stand you?

I believe umpires should:

1. Support the organization that hires us.
2. Resist the iconoclastic teaching that applies PRO philosophy to the amateur game.
3. Examine objectively new ideas about mechanics.
4. Accept willingly official interpretations and authoritative opinion.

Further, I suggested that the ideas cynics post on the Internet harm umpires of amateur games. I pointed to the following oft-repeated statements:

1. Do as your assignor says or you won’t advance.
2. If enforcing that rule upsets the coaches, don’t enforce it.
3. How do we know the interpretations Carl reports are real?
4. A system of mechanics isn’t necessary. Nobody cares where the umpires stand.
5. Umpiring ain’t that hard.
6. Who needs to know the rules?
7. The customer is always right.

Let's hear which of those you agree with. Do you disagree with any of those as strongly as you dislike my manner? If so, tell us. Explain how you differ from those who have made a cottage-industry out of trying to discredit my opinions.

You will have to search diligently to find any personal attack in this post. I expect the same courtesy in your reply.

Let's say I agree to all your descriptions of my past behavior. Let's say I am on bended knee, begging for your forgiveness. Let's say the slate is clean. Let's say I have finally accepted you are a "real" person and not a pseudonym.

I'm waiting for your answers.

[Edited by Carl Childress on Feb 10th, 2001 at 09:41 AM]