View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 12, 2004, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
What I've been doing with these malcontents this year:

* After about the third gripe, I'll say to him, "42 (or whatever his number is), I've heard enough." Combine that with "the look" you give your kids when you really mean what you are saying.

So far, that's shut them down. But the next gripe would earn them a T (simple T, not flagrant). I'm not sure I'd toss a player for telling me I suck. Maybe I need to re-evaluate that

Definitely don't let it go on very long at all.
There can also be the step of talking to the coach about the problem, or talking to the captain. I haven't used it much in the past, but had an evaluator recommend it to me, and I like the feel of it -- if it's done properly.

If he tells me I suck, he's toast. Pure and simple. And just for the record, I've only called one flagrant foul in my career of over two thousand games. 8th grade boys, the post players are going at it pretty hot and heavy, but we've called each kid at least once. I'm gearing up for the big double foul. A scores, B inbounds, I'm new trail, and here are these two post players running up the floor near the back of the pack about 10 or so feet apart. B1 suddenly slides sideways toward A1, puts both hands on A1's back and just pushes him over. Absolutely no provocation of any kind, except the action in the post. Sheez... So I'm not a hothead, okay, but telling me I suck...