Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Tony, first I want to say nice posts on this thread and I
understand & agree with what you're saying. But,
since we're getting into the dirty details, would you
also say it's an interrupted dribble or loss of player
control when the unguarded point lets the ball dribble
a few time while he's screaming out plays?
Thank you, Dan.
By rule, yes, it would be an interrupted dribble. Why does create a difficult picture for folks to accept? An interrupted dribble doesn't have to be involuntary, but it's still an ID. There's no control while the ball is just bouncing on the floor.

B1 is closely guarding A1. Do you continue a closely guarded count during an interrupted dribble? Would you continue the count in the play you describe above, if, for some reason, A1 just allowed the ball to bounce and B1 allowed him to do so by not making a play for the ball?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
BktBallRef, by rule you are correct. Richard makes a good point. If i'm asked to make a judgement on border line loss of control, i think i will error on the side of this being a violation. On the play described, the judgement by one official was different then the other. The post didn't say if the other official saw this as an interupted dribble.
If I'm correct by rule, then why would you want to error on this play? There is no gray judgment area on this play. it's black or white. He's either dribbling the ball when he touches the line or he isn't?

Quote:
Originally posted by mcdanrd
Rule 4.15.1 says that a dribble is ball movement caused by a player in control who bats or pushes the ball to the floor once or several times. I don't know that I agree that a dribble has been interuppted just because it has bounced off of the floor more than once. Dan_Ref makes a good point. Official's discretion must be used to determine if a player has retained control of the ball or if the dribble has been interuppted.
I didn't understand Dan to be saying that.

Think about this:

A1 is dribbling in his BC and slaps the ball hard to the floor as he goes around B1. The ball goes to B1's left and A1 goes to B1's right but steps OOB. He doesn't opick up his dribble again until the ball is in his lane. Are you going to whistle A1 OOB?

This is very simple guys. Unless he's actually dribbling the ball when he steps on the line, there's no violation. Fight it all you want to but it's the wrong call to make.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith