View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 07, 2004, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger Greene
Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper
Thats about how I would do it. Let me tangle up this bunt mess. I have never liked the interference from the batter on the catcher. Somehow in my heart I think the catcher should have to wait until the batter passes on the way to first. Sometimes the pitcher & catcher do not talk. The pitcher moves in as soon as the batter squares, the runner starts to go, then the catcher moves forward and there is a collision. The rules says the catcher has a right to make a play even though the pitcher is already doing the same thing. Do you guys get in this mess often ?
I use the following rules of thumb (actually a BB ruling, but works well for softball also).

If F2 trips or obstructs BR from behind, then you have obstruction.

If BR runs into F2 fielding a batted ball (this meaning F2 has reached the spot of contact first), then you have interference.

A bump occuring on the initial movements of F2 and the BR is a nothing, play on, WYSIWYG.

Roger Greene
As ASA considers some collisions just part of the natural flow of the game, they suggest the umpire take the following into consideration when offering a ruling on this play.

Did the BR alter their direct heading toward 1B to draw an obstruction call(I would assume this includes the BR hesitating and clearing the box immediately)?

Did the catcher alter their effort to field the ball in an effort to draw an interference call?

Did the catcher actually capable of getting an out on the play?

I would probably go one step further in the process of making a judgment on the play. I would take in consideration if either of the players initiating the contact trying to push the other aside in an attempt to reach their independent goals.

Other than that, I'll stick with Roger (and his little ball game) and say anything else is WYSIWYG. I love that acronym!