Thread: illegal defense
View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sigh. Little league basketball. Little league coaches. [/B]
UMM, the purpose of the post was to get a straight answer about the rule. I run layup drills and all my kids touch the ball and shoot. I just feel bad that the kid is allowed to be banged around the way he has been.

When I say the league is very political, there is a reason for it. The teams in the league are supposed to be created fairly to provide each team with ballhandlers, rebounders and big men. Often you see one or two favorite coaches get to handpick their players and games are often blowouts.

In my opinion it is not good for the league to have such imbalance in its inhouse program at this age. To make it worse, the refs used are provided by someone that is involved in to organization that is known to hold grudges and take them out on the court. It is unfortunate, but I am sure you all are aware that this happens.

To make a long story short, I was told by other basketball coaches that were watching my championship game that it was an illegal defense to put one guy in front of my player and one guy in back of him impeding his ability to move. I was told to quietly check into it. So I went to the head ref. (MR Political) and asked him if it was an illegal defense and he told me it wasnt. Then I was told that he went and switched my refs that were supposed to ref my final championship game due to him thinking that one of them alerted me to this rule. So, SIR, it was just a question.

By the way, tonight my boys just won the championship and they did it with all my players contributing. The kids are really great.

One last thing, I keep hearing about $15 to do the games. Who cares about that. If someone is reffing games for $15 and doesnt feel the need to do a good job, then they shouldnt be doing it. The younger kids are the ones that need the better refs so they can learn. I watched another 6 foot kid from another team with Hakeem type skills get away with traveling all year because the ref wanted the game to end early. The kid didnt learn to correct the habit and unfortunatley he will go into next year doing the same thing. If they cant put 100 percent in and apply their knowledge then they should go bag groceries or wait tables for $15.