Thread: moving screen
View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 12:52am
We don't rent pigs

I've always found it interesting to watch players at the younger levels as they set screens and the defenders as they deal with the screen. Yes, some will practically tackle the defender as he passes. "How could it be a foul on me? My team has the ball!" But other times the defender will oblige and run in a big wide arc to avoid the screener, and naturally, sometimes the screener will follow and almost herd the defender right off the court. This, of course, leads to yells from the "knowledgeable" coaches and parents: "Moving screen! He can't do that!" I have explained this several times this year that, yes, he can do that, as long as there is no contact. This gave me an idea.
(Yes, I do get ideas.) Take your best ballhandler, put your widest body in front of him, and have the two of them turn the corner and take it right to the hoop. A kind of a power sweep, if you will. I think there is at least a chance that the defense would part like the Red Sea and your
guy could shoot a layup. Has anyone ever seen anything close to this tried? Did it work? Could it work? Have I gone totally over the edge?

Lonesome Dove