View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 08, 2001, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Several of the Gas House Gang have argued that the General Instructions allows them to change calls they have booted when it's for the good of the game.

We all know the hidden agenda those umpires are following. We all know they don't adhere to all the general instructions. I would like to hear just one tell me he carries his rule book onto the field or consults it to avoid a protest.

The arguments are nothing more than attempts to justify bad umpiring because those defending [name not used on request] don't like the umpires who pointed out what ought to be have been done. We read, then, for example, nonsense from an ordinarily good theoretician who will engage in the rankest contortions simply because he's angry with those on the other side.

Amazing!

The average umpire who stops in here can see that when Warren, Garth, or I post, there is a small group who immediately jump on the other side. The same names come up again and again.

What a pity!

Let's talk reality: The General Instructions are not a part of the rules of baseball. Those "instructions" now run about 500 8 1/2 by 11 pages and are distributed to each major league umpire. The comments in the "back of the book" were guidelines added AFTER THE RULES 50 years ago. Here's Jim Eavns:
    Shortly after the recodification in 1950, the rulesmakers added these General Instructions To Umpires. As a matter of record, the wording used in the 1955 rulebook is identical to today's. Though the game has endured significant changes and umpire training has become more highly developed, these fundamental instructions have remained unchanged; however, a redefining of their meanings is necessary. (JEA 9:31)
Clearly, Evans says, in effect: "That's what they thought then; we don't think that anymore, and we don't teach that anymore."Concerning getting help, Evans also defines that clearly, listing three situations:
  1. Anytime an umpire suspects a misinterpretation of a rule by one of his partners, "Time" should be called and the interpretation and enforcement discussed.
  2. Assistance is not requested except when the responsible umpire is "blocked out" from seeing all the elements of a play or he has substantial reason to believe that his positioning did not afford him the proper position to render an accurate call. Request for help should be minimized as it destroys the credibility of the umpire and negates the effectiveness of the multiple umpire system.
  3. Umpires should always confer before accepting a protest.
1. Correct a misinterpreted rule.

2. Get help when you are blocked out, such as on a dropped ball on a tag, or a ball over the fence. (JEA 9:16)
(I would argue asking the plate umpire for help on a play at second is not exactly what Jim Evans had in mind.) Remember, too, that some judgment calls do not admit of help. Finally, the implication of Jim's comments does seem to support asking for help before making a call.

3. Confer before accepting a protest; it might be avoided with proper implementation of the rules.

Evans also urges umpires to do all that "conferencing" in the open:
    Today's umpires do not use a "secret" set of signals to surreptitiously assist one another. Umpires in the multiple umpire systems prevalent today are responsible for specific areas of responsibility.
Still, the comments or Mr. Evans are not official interpretations. But then neither are the "General Instructions to Umpires." They are so NOT a part of the rules, they don't even have a decimal number.

I urge umpires not to justify screwing up by referring to something that is long, long out of date -- and not canon law anyway.