View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 01, 2004, 11:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: You should have to earn that right still.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser

Because it usually doesn't work out this way. It usually ends up where the same officials get to a sectional or state for 20+ years running and some very qualified people aren't given the opportunity.
Not the case in our state. There used to be an unwritten rule that an official that did 3 State Final Assignments, did not go back anymore. They had to back off of that, mainly because there were no enough officials to just move up the latter. Now Dave Gannaway said that officials have the potential to go two years in a row and have to take a year off. But the two years in a row is not guaranteed and I know officials that went one year and did not go back the following year. Or better yet, did not get even a Super-Sectional that following year. No, so we do not have guys going 20 years in a row.

Quote:
It's EASY to use people that have been there before. It's less easy to take a small chance on someone who hasn't worked at that level, observing them through the season, and then having confidence that the crew will step up and work a great game.
Rich, many folks that work the State Finals, do not work it again. So the people that get there each year, and it is there first time. Especially in Basketball. It is harder to have the same attitude in a sport like Baseball or Softball for example. We just do not have the numbers to be so deliberate. There are 12 different officials that go to the State Finals at a particular level. They are guaranteed two games. So they can work a combination of the Quarterfinals (everyone works this level), Semi-Finals, 3rd place game and the Championship game. And it has been shown that if you get the Championship game, you probably are not going back anytime soon. The Treasurer of one of my associations went down State (what we call the State Finals around here) and he did the Championship game, has not been back sense. And another official that has worked with him, has not been back either.

Quote:
It shouldn't take 20+ seasons working top level ball to get a state tournament. However, I've seen people take that long or never get there that were certainly good enough -- while others worked state for the third, fourth, or fifth times.
Well going back several times might be common where you live, but that is not very common here. And no, it does not take 20 years for everyone to get there. It has taken guys 15 or 17. I even think someone that had 12 years went down a few years ago for the first time. But you are just not going to get there because you "think" you deserve that opporutunity. I agree you should not just send the same people over and over again, year after year, but you should not have officials that bearly have playoff experience putting them at the top without a process. But I am speaking for the Boy's side too. The girls side there are more "qualified" officials to work and move thru the ranks. It is just that everyone does not make themselves availible. Most officials I know want to move thru the ranks at the Boy's level and want to do so at the Class AA level. Reason being, the players are higher profile and D1 type talent. But if it was me, I would be happy at Class A too. But you do get a certain amount of respect at the Class AA Boy's level you never get doing Girl's Class A State Finals. Just the facts, I do not make the rules.

Peace

Peace