View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 01, 2004, 11:01am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb You should have to earn that right still.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
I like the system you have Tony. I read Jeff's post and I thought -- with so many good officials in Illinois, why would someone who worked a state be anywhere near it again such a short time later? We really need to make officiating so that qualified people get rewarded for the time they put into this avocation. I can't see how you do that by rewarding the same people year after year.

--Rich
Rich we have 4 different playoff levels. Two girls, Class A and AA and two Boy's, Class A and AA. An officials is not going to do all of them. The Class A Girl's State Finals ended this weekend. An official is not going to be able to do that, then work the Class AA Girl's Super-Sectional Finals all in the same week. That is not very realistic. Each level has their own State Final Weekend, we do not put them all in a pot together, like other states. It is even rare for an official to do both classes of Boy's playoffs for example. It is also unlikely that an official is going to degrade so much that he or she would not be capable of doing a State Final and the next season only being able to do a Regional and no further then next year (first level of playoff assignments). I should not jump from a Regional assignement to a Super-Sectional the next year (my opinion). There is too much on the line to just put anyone in that situation. You should have to prove your ability first, then you get the opportunity to move thru the playoffs. Just like the all pro levels I am aware of. They do not make you elgible right off the bat for playoffs. I know in the NFL and NBA, you have to work so many years before you can smell the playoffs. Same way in Illinois. You just have to be Certified (takes 5 years at the very least) and then qualify for all the things that get you in at that particular playoff level.

I just thought it was odd that Tony had a State Final game, then is doing a much lower level the next year. I am sure he is not that bad as compared to last year. Why not let him get close if not go back again? Then as the other officials earn their place, they can take his place.

Peace