View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 01, 2004, 09:16am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Nope, normally you can work in the Regional Tourney once every three years. State Finals officials come from the Regional pool. It's to insure that everyone who's qualified gets a fair opportunity to go to The Dance.

Hey, where's BBallCoach? Why isn't he busting my ballz for enjoying my last game?
As it's my second year in Wisconsin, I'm not even eligible for a single postseason game. Was scheduled for about 35 varsity games and worked two of the number 1 boys teams in the state (4 divisions) during the regular season.

Next season I'll be eligible because I went to camps the past two summers, which allows me to skip over "levels." Last year as a "new" official, I was a Level 1, this year a Level 3, and next year I'll be a Level 5. Five levels and then a "Master" level. Only L5 and Master can work any playoffs at all in basketball. To be a "Master" official you only need to score a 90% on the Part I and Part II exams (both open book), attend the state meeting, and work 16 varsity games the previous season. Until this season, only Master officials could work any playoff games, but there's been a bit of a shakeup and I know that some of the L5 officials are working the state tournament.

I probably would've been done this week anyway. I've really hurt myself by moving about the country (4 moves to new states since 1997), but I've always realized that my day job and career have to come first in this life, so I made the moves.

I like the system you have Tony. I read Jeff's post and I thought -- with so many good officials in Illinois, why would someone who worked a state be anywhere near it again such a short time later? We really need to make officiating so that qualified people get rewarded for the time they put into this avocation. I can't see how you do that by rewarding the same people year after year.

--Rich