View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 03:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Originally posted by blindzebra
Originally posted by Smitty
Originally posted by footlocker

Did B1 move laterally in the same direction as A1 is moving? In other words, was B1 in LGP during A1's initial drive through the lane? If B1 was facing A1 but moving perpendicular to A1's drive to the hoop, I think it may not be so simple.

Why not? The only direction that a defender cannot move once establishing LGP is towards the offensive player.
RULE 4-23-3: "After the initial legal guarding position is obtained, the guard may move laterally or obliquely to maintain position, provided it is not toward the opponent when contact occurs."

Very good point,if B1 moved into A1's path and was not moving to MAINTAIN LGP, B1 has to re-establish before A1
leaves the floor.That is instantaneous,so all B1 has to do is stick a landing in front of A1 before he leaves the floor.
[/QUOTE]

The play described is a dribbling player, not an airborne shooter. B1 doesn't have to "re-establish" LGP, because it was never lost.

Footlocker, it sounds like you made the right call. I agree that too many HS officials take the "easy way" out and go block when it should be PC.

Rich F: The way you describe your play, it sounds like a PC unless A1 was an airborne shooter. If a driver (not a shooter) smears the defender, it's a charge.

Z
[/QUOTE]

Not when the defender slides laterally after the driver has become an airborne shooter and when the defender hasn't established LGP prior. Maybe I described the play poorly: Everyone's eyes were on the freight train coming down the floor -- except mine who watched the defender slide over after the player driving took off.

What I was saying in the original post, footlocker, is that I seem to call many block/charge scenarios charges because the rules really aren't as stringent as many people think. The defender doesn't have to be still, set, feet not moving, etc. Just establish LGP and keep it.

--Rich