View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 02:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by ronny mulkey

Jeffrey,

I listen to the folks around me and most encourage NFHS principals and guidelines. I continue to ask, is that not the case in your area. More to the point, can you cite plays or rules that the people around you tell you not to call that is contrary to Fed rulings?
Ron, as usually you overblow the issue. Yes we are encouraged to use the NF guidelines. But the NF does not have a specific guideline for everything. The NF only gives rules, they often do not help interprete all their rules and their mechanics. Many states job is to fill in the blanks. And when they fill in the blanks, everyone across the country is not going to agree.

Quote:
Originally posted by ronny mulkey
And, I am not talking about judgement here - I am talking about an instance where some assignor told you to NEVER call 3 seconds, for example.
I have never had an assignor/IHSA Clinician or State Evaluator say never call 3 seconds. But I have had many of those folks refer to 3 seconds as a "game interrupter" and should not be the best call of an official. And when we talked about telling coaches how many timeouts they have as stated in 2-11-6, to not make a big deal out of that. Many have the attitude that the coaches should know their status, it is not our job to try to "find out" or go out of our way to tell them they have used all their timeouts. Mainly because if a coach is upset with you, you just gave him a great opportunity to get a "free shot" to rag on you about something in the game. I even have never heard anyone say not to call a Multiple Foul, but it has been said to not go looking for $h!t. And if you call one, that is exactly what you are doing.

But all those things I just said, have absolutely nothing to do with advancing or not advancing. It is the sum of many parts that will get you "moved up" or not. But if you are a maverick and doing your own thing, you can and will lose credibility in your officiating. But that is no different than anything else in life. But I have always said that basketball is about judgment, not rules. I do not have plays in many games that I would have to scratch my head over and wonder did I make the proper ruling. I think we tend to over-blow that here too often.

Peace