View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 01:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: Tough call.

Quote:
Originally posted by ronny mulkey

I've asked this before, but do the assignors in your area teach methods contrary to NFHS rules/interps/case book
rulings? If not, where do these "acceptable" practices come from? Are they different than those published by the FED? If you applied a casebook ruling would you not advance?

Or, are talking about judgement and "spirit of intent"?
Well, that depends on what you feel is contrary to what the NF says. See we have kind of a close relationship with the NF. The editor left her job with the IHSA and went directly to the NF. So yes, there are rules that are taught to enforce closer than others, but that is the case in all sports at all levels. And if you are worried about one play in a casebook that might never happen, not sure any advancement is wrapped up in that one rule. But if you have no common sense and are always making unusual calls (multiple fouls), it can hurt you in the long run. Because our assignors can report to the state who they think deserves playoff consideration, but the state makes the final decisions based on many factors. But those "acceptable" practices have nothing to do with not applying the rules, but they are called philosophies. And if you are calling clean blocks, but contact on the body in my area, you might not be seen as a good official that uses good judgment. Especially if you are working that higher caliber of ball.

So the difference between me and you, seem to listen to the folks around me and what they want, because they are the ones that pay the bills or hire me. The NF does not.

Peace