View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 01:06pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: Re: BLARGE Philosophy

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
Quote:
Originally posted by icallfouls
I realize that not all of you will agree on this, but ig the contact is torso to torso, I am going to call the player control foul, unless the shooter is already airborne and the defense slides under.
Not always the best call. Does defender have LGP? Who initiated the contact? Are you reffing the defense?

Not likely saying anything you don't already know, but these are important things to remember. I think it's more accurate to say that torso-to-torso contact is ALMOST always a PC foul. But not always. It's important not to reward sloppy defense.

Like I always say...
I was in 2OT of a boys varsity game a few weeks ago when a player drove all the way down the court right down the middle. He had a full head of steam and absolutely smeared the defender right in the middle of the torso.

I was the lead. Block. Score it. I sold it hard, too. The defense let this guy fly full speed down court and after the driver took off the defender made a small slide left and took one for the team.

Don't use rules of thumb like torso-to-torso. Referee the defense. I will say that most block/charges tend to go the other way in my games because LGP doesn't require having nails through your shoes.

--Rich